How to cook a perfect steak
1. Season with salt and pepper on both sides and coat with a little oil (olive or groundnut is good).
2. Heat the pan until it is very hot. When the steak hits the pan there should be an instant sizzling sound.
3. Leave the steak untouched apart from turning it. Cooking times vary according to thickness of the steak and how you want it cooked (rare, medium etc).
4. Use your fingers to prod the cooked steak – when rare it will feel soft, medium-rare will be lightly bouncy, and well-done will be much firmer.
5. Leave it to rest for at least 5 - 10 mins. This is key and allows the juices to spread evenly throughout the steak.